Design Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Design Tips
- • How to Lure in Your Audience with Good Design
- • Get That 3D Look Without Breaking Your Budget
- • Boost Your Marketing Prowess with Perfect Postcard Design
- • 5 Ideas to Spark Those Creative Juices
- • 5 Ways to Toot Your Own Horn
- • A Metaphorical Idea
- • 5 Must-Haves in Every Layout
- • Trim the Fat: What Your Logo Doesn't Need
- • Timeboxing: An Outline for More Efficient Design
- • Paragraph Indicators - Make A Dent in Your Universe
- • Designing for Color-Blind Viewers
- • Add Sparkle With the Symbolism Tool
- • Grab Them Right Out of the Gate
- • Depicting Time and Motion with Design
- • When Color Matters
- • Design That's Easy as A-B-C
- • Eye-Teasing Design
- • Variation on a Theme
- • Room to Breathe
- • Low-Cost Clip Art and Images
- • Typographical Terms
- • Breakthrough Brochures
- • The Risk of Over Designing
- • Successful Newsletters How-To
- • Do-It-Yourself Letterhead
- • Creative in Black and White
Variation on a Theme
Choosing an appropriate color palette is an important step in creating great design. Using the right mixture of colors is what gives life to the images you create and combine. But perhaps the best way to ensure you are using your colors to their full potential is to experiment with the placement of each color.
This variation on a theme, as seen above, serves to change the look and feel to give you a look that supports the image's message. The key to variation is experimentation. When you stumble upon the combination that works best, you'll be glad you took the time.
by Jim Krause
Color Index provides more than one thousand color combinations and formulas--guaranteed to help graphic artists solve design dilemmas and create effective images for both print and the Web.
From progressive colors to natural tones, Color Index makes choosing hues for any job easier! Designers will start working with color in exciting new ways and create original, eye-catching designs that pop off the page. It's all the inspiration they need to explore and experiment with color as never before!
Just like the other clever little design books in this series, Color Index is portable, packed with inspiration, and neatly packaged in a colorful, sturdy vinyl jacket.